Tuesday 18 August 2015

interview: dalton diehl of young brother

Okay, so I got an interview from Dalton Diehl, of Young Brother and here it is. Hope you guys enjoy learning more about the Kamikaze singer!

this is him.

Check out Young Brother on Soundcloud, Twitter and Facebook!

----

1. Say a little about yourself.
I live in Nashville, TN. Write songs for a living. Massive Denver Broncos fan!

2. Musical influences?
At this moment: Justin Timberlake, N'sync, Tove Lo, Nick Jonas, Kendrick Lamar, Prince

3. Favourite book, song/album, artist and movie?
- A Million Miles in a Thousand Years (Donald Miller), 
- currently: Can't Feel My Face (The Weeknd)
-  I just love movies in general. I don’t know if I have a favorite. I love a great story.

4. How did you get your start or what pushed you into the music business?
Started writing songs after I got two concussions playing college football. Ended up teaming up with a manager in Nashville who got me and my band a record deal with EMI.



5. In your interview with New York Minute Magazine, you said that you used to do Christian music but you sort of broke away from that sphere. How does your background in Christian music influence the music you do now, if it does at all?


Musically, it doesn’t really at all. The funny thing is though, 90% of the people who I'm writing my favorite stuff with right now, all used to be in the Christian music industry.

6. Some artists don't like to restrict themselves to just one genre, like Imagine Dragons- they like to diversify, but I would say your music is alternative pop?  Do you identify your music as being part of any particular genre(s)? 
If I had to put a genre on it, yes, it would be alt pop. I prefer records that keep me guessing as a listener so I imagine when I do put out a full length, it would touch on a few different styles.  

7. What are your plans for your debut album, now that Kamikaze has been released?
Right now, I'm just writing non stop. There's a few things in the works but none of which I can really elaborate on at the moment. 

8. What songs would you recommend for a summer playlist?
There's been ALOT of great music this summer...just a few would be:

- Can't Feel My Face (The Weeknd) 


- King (Years & Years)


- Wandering Wolf (Wave & Rome)


- Get Free (Whissell)


9. You wrote the songs on the Kamikaze EP with your producer(?) What is co-writing with another person like?
Ruslan Odnoralov and Dustin Burnett - Some co-writes can be weird but not with those guys. we must have all been on the same wave length. we were all hungry to put out something a little left of center but still felt like accessible. 

10. Is there any advice you have for other musicians?
Don’t put a time limit on your dream. In this business, NOTHING happens fast. And if it does, it will be gone just as fast as it came. Take your time and put out good art that you really believe in.

11. Do you play any instruments?
I can play guitar and piano. Not at any impressive level. Which is why I mainly just sing when playing live.

12. Why Young Brother?
I have one brother who is older than me so…I am in fact the young brother. 

I wanted a name that would always be me. 


Thanks Dalton, for answering my questions (he's got great taste doesn't he?). I hope I can work with him more in the future. Hope you liked that- it's pretty much all I've got for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment