Wednesday 3 December 2014

album review: hunger games: mockingjay part 1


When I read somewhere that Lorde was going to be the curator of this album, I was in shock for a bit. Since Royals came out, Lorde has been a major source of inspiration for me. 2013 really was the year for kids in their late teens- Martin Garrix released Animals which was one of the most popular EDM hits of last year, Tavi Gevinson continued being awesome with the release of Rookie Yearbook Two, Malala Yousafzai, the Jenner girls. I turned 17 a few weeks ago and my I don't really have any accomplishments beyond having a poem published in a newspaper.

My point is, this girl is the very embodiment of girl power, next to you know...Beyonce, Chimamanda Adichie, Michelle Obama, Lena Dunham. She is so hardworking and so influential already. The album got a 7.8 review from Pitchfork Review but I will give it an 8.

The whole thing is a mixture of the usual dark and brooding feeling we got from previous Hunger Games' soundtracks but there is something fresh about this one. She had musicians like Diplo, Stromae, Ariana Grande, CHVRCHES, Tove Lo and others work on it and one of her songs was remixed by Kanye West who is known to be her idol. She got the right musicians for the right songs and there is no sense of incompleteness to the album. It is a soundtrack for life, and I get the feeling that there are a couple of Grammys in it for her. Just saying, I would vote for it in any category it got put in.

Lorde has a lot going for her and she's doing a good job at keeping herself high above the expectations of the world for her.

***

Tracklist:
1) Stromae: "Meltdown" [ft. Lorde, Pusha T, Q-Tip, Haim]
2) Chvrches: "Dead Air"
3) Tove Lo: "Scream My Name"
4) Charli XCX: "Kingdom" [ft. Simon Bon]
5) Various Artists: "Track 5"
6) Raury: "Lost Souls"
7) Lorde: "Yellow Flicker Beat"
8) Tinashé: "The Leap"
9) Bat for Lashes: "Plan the Escape"
10) Grace Jones: "Original Beast"
11) Lorde: "Flicker" (Kanye West Rework)
12) XOV: "Animal"
13) The Chemical Brothers: "This Is Not a Game" [ft. Miguel]
14) Lorde: "Ladder Song"

***

My Favorite Song(s) From The Album:
  •  This Is Not A Game by The Chemical Brothers ft. Miguel
  • Dead Air by CHVRCHES
  • Yellow Flicker Beat by Lorde


Sources: Wikipedia
                        Pitchfork Review

No comments:

Post a Comment