Tuesday 9 December 2014

the weird, wild, wacky world of musical diversity



I could use a whole blog post to expound on how much I love music (and I probably will one day) because I do. Music has always been a major part of my life- church choir, awkward talent shows, the works. It transcended into a love for everything remotel related to music (don't worry, I streamlined it in later years. A person can only take so much reggae music (i.e. none)) when I was on the cusp of teenagehood because I needed new stuff in my life to distract from the repetitiveness of Nigerian music. I found what I was looking for definitely (the internet is a wonderful thing).

However, due to the lack of much influence from older people until later, I didn't have much by way of a proper introduction to the world of music so my music library is a wonderful mish-mash of music that cuts across the genre board.

In former years, I was ashamed of my music library (Jonas Brothers...), but now, I can't bring myself to give a hoot (I know, I know) about what people think of my music library. I have Lana del Rey and Bruno Mars alongside Imagine Dragons and Foo Fighters and Coldplay. I have soundtracks from Divergent and Interstellar and Cloud Atlas and artists like St.Vincent and Banks who will probably break onto the scene with a hit song or something, becoming public property but for now thye're mine and it's a weird pot of weirdness that only I can fully grasp.

For people in my country who listen to the kind of music that I listen to, my laptop and hard drive are like the keys to the musically divergent kingdom of weirdos, but for people who don't, I am the weirdest human being alive. And I don't care.

So, for anyone who doesn't understand anything I just said, I suggest you go and educate yourselves on the awesomeness of musical diversity. It's beautiful.


This guy gets it.

Image(s) courtesy of: google searches; last.fm; i love music by kasqlaa on deviant art

No comments:

Post a Comment