Friday 10 July 2015

essay: when i grow up

Imagine getting the chance to talk to all your favourite (and even the not-so-favourite) people in the world. Imagine getting the chance to ask them important and trivial questions alike, just because you can. Imagine not having to do this by sneaking into their houses and tying them up against their will (which is wrong and an invasion of privacy, and can also get you locked up).


This is the kind of life I envisioned for myself when I decided I want to be a journalist. Preferably a music journalist, I always specify, but fashion is okay too. I say this because I was never told I couldn’t pick what path I wanted to take in life. I know what these people earn and I know it’s not completely comfortable and so do my parents which is why they constantly tried to steer me in the direction of law, or advertising (which I may even take up someday) even through their supportiveness of my decisions, all because of a system of education that does not know how to cater to the needs and wants of Generation Y and therefore leads people to believe that our bloodshot eyes and arthritic fingers developed from the hours we spend looking at screens and typing out missives will never get us anywhere in life. This is not true. Why should we be judged based on our fascination with devices invented by the judges in the first place? As Spock would say, it is simply not logical.

While the Internet is condemned as a domain of lies and annoying advertising, it has provided me a platform that has allowed me the chance to study mathematics if I wanted to (which I wouldn’t because I math and I have a terrible history) and write about which alt-pop song has my spine tingling. With websites like Coursera.com, catering to the generation that has essentially grown up on the Internet, there are a large number of options available to us. Of course, a physical, viable degree is also important from physical, viable universities because no one’s going to take you seriously if you say you got your degree in Marketing from an online website, but it’s a step into the future.
I’ve wanted to be many things, and those things were on the science track for a while- at 6, I wanted to be a doctor, at 8, an inventor, at 9, an archaeologist, before taking what I will term as the ‘dreamy preteen track’, with wanting to become a musician at age 11, when I first received a guitar which subsequently lost all its strings before I learned how to play it, wanting to be a writer of fantastic novels from ages 12-14 before I realised that I really did have to pick something and pick it quick.


 By this time, I had discovered blogging and Tavi Gevinson and I had my inspiration and it was all about fashion and fashion magazines for me for a while, with a particular one-track focus on journalism before Tavi founded Rookie Magazine and I was forced to confront what I really wanted to do with my life. Here was a girl my age doing the things I wanted to be doing and I felt inadequate because I had not achieved as much as she had nor did it seem like I had the willpower to do so and it felt as if I had been walking someone else’s path, essentially living a lie. So for a while, I tried my hand at other things and nearly came unhinged because I was thinking: I’m so bad at this, or this is so boring, what am I doing here???

Then I heard Lorde for the first time in 2013 and I remember thinking, ‘wow, this girl really knows what she’s talking about’ and so I googled her and all these interviews and articles sprang up and I read about how she did her own thing and didn’t overthink the opinions of others and was intelligent (doctorate proof-reading, anyone?) and how she was awkward but never let that stop her, and I began to understand the kind of person I was. Or at least, the kind of person I hoped to be.

I’m a seventeen year old girl and in this day and age, some people still take that to mean that I don’t know how to make my own decisions. Sadly for them, I really, really do.


I want to travel, for one, and maybe settle down in Italy or New York, someday. I want to work for Alternative Press and Pitchfork and every decent music magazine I can get my hands on before I’m 30. I want to pitch in for music sections of fashion magazines I really love. I want to interview Imagine Dragons and Ryn Weaver and Lorde and First Aid Kit, and even Taylor Swift. I want to help good indie artists get their music out there. I want to go to festivals and dance my heart out. I want to converse with the girls who are my heroes (Lorde, Tavi Gevinson) still even though I have become my own person with my own dreams and aspirations and wants. I want to get a PhD in a few years in Literature or English just so I can flaunt it in the faces of people who may still wish to define me by my looks or my age or my gender or even, archaically, by the colour of my skin. I want to finish a book. I want to win an award. I want to maybe one day find my t’hy’la (cool points to those who recognise the Star Trek reference).

I want things and maybe I don’t even have to wait to grow old to get them. I just have to keep my eyes (and mind and heart) on everything I’ve listed, and the things I haven’t and maybe I won’t be a screw-up like it has been predicted by people who can't possibly see the future that I will become. 


Live long, and prosper.


No images belong to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment