Wednesday 15 April 2015

album review: passion pit, 'kindred'

Passion Pit

I heard about Passion Pit the way a lot of people probably did: when he (it's a single person-band with two touring members) remixed a song by Imagine Dragons, specifically, It's Time (it's a good remix by the way, listen to it here) and as with most music (that isn't reggae), I fell in love. I listened to the singles, kept an eye out for albums, the usual me stuff and then I heard about Kindred. The website went offline for a while and came back as KindredtheAlbum.com. There was a lot of buzz around this album, and when the first single from it was released- Lifted Up (1985), I was there so fast I felt my metaphorical head spin.

Kindred is their third studio album and the main man Michael Angelakos spins beautiful pop tracks that have no happy endings but are positive in their own way. There is something about the melancholy lyrics mixed with the upbeat pop that resonates with me and wow...that sounded pretentious.

This album, from what I've seen and heard and read, is essentially Michael A. moving on from a dark point in his life but acknowledging that he was once there in the best way possible- through music. He's been through a lot from what I've gathered, but he's a wonderful example of moving on from whatever was dragging him down. He accepted, but never forgot or disregarded and as a teenager looking for assertion without strings wherever I can find it, this album is perfect.

Kindred is fantastic, though and I strongly suggest you, reader of mine, give it a go. You can stream it  fully on  iTunes Radio for a limited time or wait for a week to get it on the 21st, whatever floats your boat. You can pre-order and get Lifted Up (1985) and Until We Can't (Let's Go) immediately.

Top track:

Lifted Up (1985). Why? So relatable, even though I'm biased because I haven't soaked in the music juices of the other songs, SO THIS MAY CHANGE. Note: that sounded vaguely wrong.

Image sourced from...GOOGLE!




No comments:

Post a Comment